The major laboratories in the department include Bioanalytical, Microbiology, Cell Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering, Cancer Biology, Bioinformatics and Advanced research laboratories. All the laboratories are well equipped with state-of-the-art equipment. Bioinformatics laboratory has sufficient computation facility consisting of workstations and desktops. It also utilizes the High Performance Computing facility available in Centre for Advanced Technology Solutions(CATS), GITAM.
The department is actively engaged in research with 11 ongoing research projects worth of ~ 2 crores funded by DBT, DST and UGC and completed four research projects funded by UGC and GITAM. In addition to research grants, the School of Life Sciences is supported by FIST (Funds for Infrastructure) by DST, New Delhi. Forty one research students are presently working for M.Phil./Ph.D and three were awarded with Ph.D and M.Phil degrees. Research scholars have published 30 research papers in national and international journals of repute.
B. Departmental library:
In addition to the central library, departmental library is having 594 number of text and reference books; and journals.
Achievements of the department:
- CSIR-NET and DST- Inspire Junior Research Fellowship Awardees from the department are pursuing Ph.D in reputed National institutes.
- The students of Bioinformatics are the recipients of GITAM gold medal successively from inception, to date in GITAM Institute of Science.
- M.Sc. Bioinformatics students were recipients of Summer Fellowships from Indian Academy of Sciences.
- M.Sc. Bioinformatics students are selected for Bioinformatics Industrial Training Programme (BIITP).
- M.Sc. Biochemistry students have successfully completed research projects with funding from APCOST.
- M.Sc. Students have published 13 research papers in National and International journals of repute.
- A significant number of students are pursuing higher degrees in advanced research laboratories both in India and Abroad.
- Our Alumni occupied pivotal positions in reputed organizations such as Bioserve, NIN, IILs, ICMR, Dr. Reddys’ & Parexel laboratories and Shantha Biotech.
- In recent campus placements drive ~50 % of the Students were employed in Pharma, research and allied organizations like Wipro Life Sciences, Reddy’s Labs etc.,