The major laboratories in the department include Bioanalytical, Microbiology, Cell Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering, Cancer Biology, Bioinformatics and Advanced research laboratories. All the laboratories are well equipped with state-of-the-art equipment. Bioinformatics laboratory has sufficient computation facility consisting of workstations and desktops. It also utilizes the High-Performance Computing facility available in Centre for Advanced Technology Solutions(CATS), GITAM.
The department is actively engaged in research with 11 ongoing research projects worth of ~ 2 crores funded by DBT, DST, and UGC and completed four research projects funded by UGC and GITAM. In addition to research grants, the School of Life Sciences is supported by a FIST (Funds for Infrastructure) by DST, New Delhi. Forty-one research students are presently working for M.Phil./Ph.D and three were awarded Ph.D. and M.Phil degrees. Research scholars have published 30 research papers in national and international journals of repute.
B. Departmental library:
In addition to the central library, the departmental library is having 594 number of text and reference books; and journals.
Achievements of the department:
- CSIR-NET and DST- Inspire Junior Research Fellowship Awardees from the department are pursuing Ph.D. in reputed National Institutes.
- The students of Bioinformatics are the recipients of GITAM gold medal successively from inception to date in GITAM Institute of Science.
- M.Sc. Bioinformatics students were recipients of Summer Fellowships from Indian Academy of Sciences.
- M.Sc. Bioinformatics students are selected for Bioinformatics Industrial Training Programme (
- M.Sc. Biochemistry students have successfully completed research projects with funding from APCOST.
- M.Sc. Students have published 13 research papers in National and International journals of repute.
- A significant number of students are pursuing higher degrees in advanced research laboratories both in India and Abroad.
- Our Alumni occupied pivotal positions in reputed organizations such as Bioserve, NIN, IILs, ICMR, Dr. Reddys’ & Parexel laboratories and Shantha Biotech.
- In recent campus placements drive, ~50 % of the Students were employed in Pharma, research and allied organizations like Wipro Life Sciences, Reddy’s Labs etc.,